Monday 29 September 2014

Promotions for Warriors duo

UCLan SENS are pleased to announce that Mark Quinn and Ian Bentley have been promoted in their external roles with Wigan Warriors Rugby League Club.

Mark (left) has been appointed Head of Sports Science and Analysis, whilst Ian is now Strength & Conditioning Coach for the Under 19s team.

The pair are currently studying their PhDs within UCLan SENS, whilst Ian also lectures on our Sports Science programme.

Mark commented: "My new role at Wigan will contribute vastly to my PHD, as I’ll be hands on with all the data collected from the team everyday in training and games.

"This not only includes the Global Positioning System (GPS) data tracking players movements (distance, speed, acceleration), but the match statistics (tackles made, metres made with the ball), which together gives a more thorough analysis of the demands of rugby league.

"I will also gain an insight into the coaching side of rugby league, namely the technical and tactical side of the game. With my PHD research looking at the physical and mental demands of the sport, this gives me an overview of all areas that contribute to rugby league performance.

"By combining my work at Wigan with my studies at UCLan it gives a real applied focus to my research. With the facilities, technology and expert advice from academics based in UCLan SENS, it is exciting to be at the forefront of research and performance in elite sport.

Ian (right) added: "My roles with UCLan and Wigan Warriors combine really well. My work as a Strength and Conditioning coach for the Academy informs my teaching, allowing me to link the theory with my practical experiences in elite development sport.

"I'm able to provide a number of internships for our students working with the Academy or Scholarship age groups, thus providing them with valuable coaching experience."

UCLan SENS would like to wish Mark and Ian every success in their new roles.

No comments:

Post a Comment